In our article, Voices for the Vulnerable, we said we would follow up with ways our community, Redemption Church, would be getting involved to tangibly care for the most vulnerable. We would love to extend these opportunities to everyone! You don’t need to be part of the Redemption community to join.
As a church community, we are declaring 2017 A Year of Caring for the Vulnerable. We are making it a specific and extra intentional focus this year. We will be focusing our efforts on three groups: (1) Refugees, (2) Immigrants, and (3) Orphans. To learn more about what we’re doing and how you can get involved check out the website here.
Here are a few ways you can join us and make a tangible difference in the lives of the vulnerable:
- We’re partnering with World Relief to mobilize teams of people committed to caring for refugees in our local area. If you are local and would like to join a team with us in the Orange County area, contact email@example.com.
- If you want to take immediate action, World Relief is hosting a training in Garden Grove on February 28th at 6:30. This training is for people who want to lead a Good Neighbor Team (5-15 people who commit to walking with a refugee family for their first 6-12 months in their new home). Spots are limited and filling up fast, so sign up here for the training on February 28th ASAP.
- We’re partnering with MIKA to mobilize teams of people committed to caring for immigrants in our local area (this applies to people living in the Orange Country area)
- Here are a few ways to get involved with MIKA:
- Share Your Table: Build a relationship with a local immigrant family over a meal. More info and sign up here.
- After School Programs: Help tutor children from immigrant families. For more info email Lucas Davis at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sack Lunches for MIKA Ski Week Trip: MIKA Is taking a group of 25-30 kids on Ski Trip next Thursday, February 23rd. If you or your community group is interested in providing sack lunches, email Lucas Davis at: email@example.com
- We’re partnering with Safe Families for Children in their efforts to prevent vulnerable kids from ending up in foster care. Get trained to be a home or support group to take kids in.
- If you’re interested in getting involved with Safe Families, contact Safe Families to sign up for our Safe Families Orientation/Q&A on Thursday, March 16th from 7:00-9:00pm. Sign up here.
Let’s do this! Game time people. Let our lives speak for who we are in how we care.